SHL Online Test - Help Instruction
In order to take the online test you will need to:
- Ensure you are using a browser which is compatible for the test with the operating system you are using - see section below 'Compatible Browsers'
- Ensure any pop-up blockers are disabled (i.e. pop-ups are allowed) – see section on pop-up blockers
- Make sure you have an up-to-date version of Flash installed on your machine www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
- Ensure you have a stable Internet connection which will not lose its connection during the length of the test
- If using Microsoft Vista as your operating system, make ensure you have Sun Microsystems Java downloaded www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Please consult the link below to check your Internet Browser is compatible with the test:
We would however recommend using Internet Explorer on a PC or Camino on a Mac.
You can download Internet Explorer 8 here:
You can download Camino here:
The online test uses pop-ups. If you have any pop-up blocking software on your computer you will therefore need to disable it so that pop-ups are allowed.
Some sources of pop-up blockers are:
- Internet browser plug-in bars, such as those available from Yahoo and Google
- Internet Security or Firewall software may have built-in pop-up blocking
- You may find a possible programme by hovering the mouse pointer over the icons in the lower right hand corner of the screen. If there is a programme you suspect, right-click on the icon to access the settings of that software
- Check the add / remove programs list on your Control Panel
- If you are using Internet Explorer, there is a built in pop-up blocker. Click Tools, Pop-up Blocker to disable this feature.
- If you are using Firebox pop-up blocker is by default enabled. Disable it by clicking Tools-Options-Content and remove the tick by pop-up blocker.
Please note if you are unable to enable pop-up windows on that PC, you will have to access the tests from another machine.
Information on taking the test
You will be presented with a short (8 question) practice test before the real test. Please only use the navigation buttons within the test window to move about within the test.
Please be advised if during the test the main site for your test warns it will time out this will not affect your test as this is taken in a separate window.
If during the test you have issues whilst trying to take the test with it apparently becoming ‘stuck’, if using a wireless connection you may need to restart the router. Please also try minimizing and then maximizing the test window, then clicking in the white area of the test window and trying the next button again.
If at the end of your test you do not automatically see a message you have completed the test please log out and check back again after four hours. If you still do not see a message your results have been received please contact the support team using the technical support form on the main site. If you received a string at the end of your test please send this through at the same time.
Removing Temporary Internet Files
You may need to remove the temporary Internet files for the tests to work.
In Internet Explorer 7 go to Tools, Internet Options, on the General tab click the Delete button and in the ‘'Temporary Internet Files' section click the ‘'Delete files' button.
In Firefox go to Tools, Options, Privacy, click 'Clear Now', make sure ‘'Official Web Site Data' is selected (you don't need any other options selected unless you want to clear them as well) and click 'Clear Private Data Now'.
Special Requirements for sitting the test
If you have any special requirements for sitting the test (for instance extra time for dyslexia) please contact the recruitment team directly with your requirements.
If you experience difficulties
If you experience difficulties please email back with the account you use to log in and:
- A screenshot (press Print Screen on the keyboard and paste into Word) of the error screen as you see it/the last screen you are able to see
- How far you were able to get in the test e.g. start practice test, load real test
- A description of the problem you encountered
SHL Maintenance Dates
Please refer to www.shl.com/systemmaintenance/default.aspx for any scheduled downtime by SHL. During these periods you may be unable to access the online tests